Password Formation And Management Tips To Ensure Cybersecurity
A strong backdoor password is the first lock that seals the door between the dark side of the web and your IoT devices. If broken, unethical hackers can penetrate malware to gain unauthorized entry. Sometimes, the malware exists for long and gives hackers remote access to your IP cameras. They can then monitor all your activities and tamper with the feed too. In fact, not just IP cameras, hackers can target every other device on the internet since every device on the web is a computer.
As dangerous as it sounds, there are certain clean password habits that can minimize the risk of a data security breach and memory leak. The ones to follow are listed below.
- Password Formation
Begin by changing the default password of all IoT devices. However, remember, a weak password is just as useless and the default one. Only when the password is strong that it is capable of increasing the cybersecurity. The best ways to create such a password include the following.
- The length of a strong password should ideally be 12-20 characters. However, length alone doesn’t guarantee strength.
- Strength depends upon complexity too. Thus, the characters must include letters, symbols, and numbers.
Besides, avoid using predictable password patterns like;
- 123 or 1234, and so on.
- Birthdays and names.
Such mistakes make even long passwords predictable. Conclusively, a strong password is the 3-in-1 combination of length, complexity, and uniqueness.
- Password Protection
Having a strong password is one thing and keeping it exclusive is another thing. A password, no matter how strong it is, is worthless if compromised. Which is why you should be very particular about password protection. Follow the following tips to do so.
- Avoid reusing the same password for any 2 devices. If by chance, the password gets compromised, all the devices running on it will become vulnerable.
- Avoid repeating an old password that you once had for an old employee or an old account. The chances that such passwords are penetrable are quite high.
- Do not feed your username and password in unprotected devices. Also, refrain from the habit of sharing such details with other people.
- Password Management
At last comes password management. After doing everything right, you might still end up messing it all. How? Well, it is not humanly possible to remember many long and complicated passwords. And saving such important pieces of access information in unencrypted files or office diaries is a risk. In fact, even if you note them down in a diary and keep it at home, it can still be destroyed under circumstances like fire or an accident involving kids and pets. Therefore, use a password management app. It is a kind of encrypted master software where you can note down all other passwords. Memorize just one – of the master app, of course – and be tension free.